Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Anesthesia is used in many surgical procedures to reduce sensation and awareness in patients. Although there have been many advancements in anesthesia in recent years and it’s considered very safe, mistakes can still occur sometimes. If you have suffered harm from an anesthesia error, it is important to speak with a medical malpractice lawyer.
Types of Anesthesia
Anesthesia is designed to help patients avoid feeling pain when undergoing surgical procedures. Here are the three types of anesthesia.
- Local. This type of anesthesia uses local anesthetic drugs to numb small areas of the body for minor procedures, like biopsies and dentistry procedures.It does not cause a person to lose consciousness.
- Regional. With regional anesthesia, local anesthetics are used to numb larger areas, such as an arm or leg. This type of anesthesia often uses local anesthetic drugs and is supplemented with IV sedation.
- General. General anesthesia causes patients to enter a state of unconsciousness so that they can’t feel pain during surgery. This type of anesthesia can be administered through IV sedation and inhaled agents. General anesthesia is necessary for long surgeries or ones that may affect a patient’s breathing.
Common Anesthesia Errors
If anesthesiologists are negligent, they can make anesthesia errors before or during surgery. Here are the most common anesthesia errors.
- Administering too much anesthesia, which can lead to brain damage and other dangerous complications
- Administering too little anesthesia, which can cause a patient to be aware during surgery
- Failing to monitor vital signs during surgery
- Neglecting to ask about the medical history of a patient for potential complications
- Failing to tell patient about risks of certain pre-surgery activities, like eating too close to surgery
Common Injuries from Anesthesia Errors
When anesthesia errors are made, patients can suffer serious injuries, and some of them may be fatal. Here are the most common injuries caused by anesthesia errors.
- Heart attack
- Nerve Damage
- Brain damage
- Allergic reaction
- Vocal cord injuries
What to Do If You Were Harmed By an Anesthesia Error
If you suffered injuries due to an anesthesia error, you may be entitled to compensation. Discuss the details of your case with a medical malpractice lawyer Chicago, IL resident trust to provide an exceptional level of service to their clients, like one from Disparti Law Group. A lawyer can help you gather the evidence you need to prove your case and improve your likelihood of obtaining fair compensation for your injuries.